Wednesday, October 6, 2010

La Amistad (Friendship)

One of the volunteers has commented that each week here in Bolivia seems to have a theme-- generally one that we didn't plan. (Not that we don't plan; it's just that in Bolivia, things often turn out different than you expected.) This week's unplanned theme has been friendship.

This past Friday, I began serving coffee and tea to patients and staff at the hospital, as a service to them and as a way to build relationships and learn about their lives. This project is named "Cafe Xelda," in honor of the grandmother of Michael Wawrzewski, HOH's founder. She gave him his start in missions, and this new branch of the ministry is in her honor. So far, it's been a really great way to connect with people at the hospital, both staff and patients.

Yesterday was a slow day at the hospital, and I got to sit and talk with several staff members and hear about how their work is going. Today, I met a couple who work at the Adventist University, whose daughter is a tour guide. They're going to have her call me to possibly arrange Spanish lessons for volunteers. I also got to meet a young couple with two adorable little girls. They asked me about the hospital's religious affiliation and told me about their history with a controlling church, which they have now left. They were really wounded by this church, and they seem reluctant to try again. I told them that I thought that people create rules that God doesn't approve of, but that what is really important is for us to know God and his love. They invited me and the volunteers to come over for dinner this weekend, and I'm excited for the opportunity to talk with them more.

We invited a couple of the doctors over for lunch today, as a way to thank them for all they do for us. Now, those of you who know me are already aware that I'm a bit (okay, really, really) clumsy. Most of the time I've been here in Bolivia, I've somehow managed to pretend to be graceful. Not so today. In the course of the meal, I managed to send food flying across the table and to spill soda everywhere. I also managed to make some completely ridiculous Spanish mistakes. (For example, I said that medical residents in the US aren't supposed to work more than 100 years a week!) The doctors were very nice about the fact that I made a complete fool of myself and didn't even laugh at my blatant errors-- a sign of true friendship, I think!

One of the hospital administrators is becoming a great friend to us, as well, and Letitia (a volunteer) has decided that she is the one we will grill about all of the things we're perplexed about with regards to Bolivian culture. (If someone tells you that an event begins at 12, what time do you really show up, since it won't start for at least half an hour after that?) One of the guards invited us to come meet his family, and one of the doctors has invited us over for dinner.

Our language skills (or lack thereof) are still a limiting factor in our communication, but we're really beginning to build friendships here despite that. Miscommunication can actually be an asset in building friendships, we've found, as it gives us something to laugh about!

All in all, this week has been a blessing. We feel more at home here, knowing that we have friends we can call on, and we're enjoying getting to share in their lives.

No comments: