Monday, April 18, 2011

Chapter Bolivia

In the time I was in Bolivia, my life was changed. But it was not because Bolivia was a place of revelation for me. Nor was it because those three weeks were when I saw God work the most in my short twenty-two years. God was working in me before then and has been working in me since. It seems that no matter where I am, God molds my life so that I can live in His grace more each day.

The greatest lesson I learned from Bolivia was of Unity in the Spirit. No matter what church you go to or what language you speak, if you profess Christ and rely on Him for everything, we are siblings in Christ.

Perhaps the second greatest lesson I learned was what it means to have childlike faith, dependence on God for everything. Some days, it is difficult to see God at work. I want the world to change and to be inspired by God, and, when I do not see the change even in myself, I wonder if God works at all. But He provides even my faith by His grace. By relying on God, even for the motivation to desire Him, I have found my greatest strength lies not within myself, but in the grace of God through His Son Jesus Christ.

Amidst times of stress and weakness, the feeling of God’s closeness wanes, but faith is conviction without sight, assurance without foreknowledge. I remember that God has pulled me through and I laugh with joy.

You do not need to leave America to know God is real. You do not need to have the perfect plan to move forward with your life. All you need is to pursue righteousness. Live based on what you think is best at the time and be open to God’s Word for everything. And if He gives you opportunity to go, you should go. But trust that God will change your life no matter where you go.

~Scott Ho, Bolivia volunteer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"trust that God will change your life no matter where you go."

Thanks for the reminder!